Saturday, July 6, 2013

Christian Social Ministry and Jesus Christ



Philosophy of Teaching by Rev. Steve Bloem

I like what Phillip Brooks said, preaching is the communication of God’s truth through the preacher’s personality. I believe the same thing could be said about teaching.  If I merely assent to the truth and have not been a partaker of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4), then my teaching will have little effect on those I teach.  I am responsible not only to know my subject but to have lived it. One thing I am sure of is that I know a great deal about the subject of Christian Social Ministry and I have spent my life putting  what I have learned it into practice.


Schooling and Training are Important.
My academic schooling has given me an excellent foundation and the tools to have a godly social ministry. These have  included a bachelor of arts, a master of ministry, social work classes at the graduate level and years of on-the-job training. When I went to school good Biblical preaching was abundant, and my Bible/Theology professors were the cream of the crop.

God's preparation for my ministry
I have had many opportunities in pursuing my vocation to learn from pastors, psychiatrists, social workers, psychologists, nurses, parole officers and others. When the great pastor Charles Spurgeon was asked how long he had prepared for a specific sermon, he replied, “All my life.”   God began His work in me when I was sixteen years old.  I discovered that I had pastoral teaching gifts along with the gift of mercy. God never wastes time or training.

Present ministry is a result of previous training.
 My present ministry with Heartfelt Counseling Ministries and our book,  Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You’re Losing It  are a testimony to that above truth.I believe that the teacher should know more about a subject than the student. I am not saying that he cannot learn from a student. But the New Testament informs us that teachers will be held accountable for whom they teach and what they teach. (James 3:1-2). Our Lord Jesus said a pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher, (NASB, Luke 6:40.) The Greek word for trained is katartizo, which in its translation expresses the ideas of being complete, equipped, mended, fully trained prepared and restored.

Social work and Action flows from the Risen Christ
The stream of social action flows from the Risen Christ and His church to His world.  Jesus Christ is our model. and example. As the Scripture tells us: You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.  Social ministry begins with God and the perfect God/Man-Jesus Christ. This Savior  came into His creation to the market place of sin and slavery and shed His blood for them. He died for them and in their place.   Born again Christians are to love sinners and believers the way that our Lord Jesus did.



Jesus Christ is the foundation of Christian Education.

I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ should be the foundation of Christian Education.  Colossians 2:2-3 states, that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (NASB).
Pastors are to be equipping the saints in church for ministry;  Paul said to the Ephesian church; And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping(Katartismos) of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.(Ephesians 4:11-13. NASB)..  Galatians 6:10 tells us; Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
 To be continued

Link - Our website www.heartfeltmin.



 


 Robyn and I have written a book Broken Minds, Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It. It is published by Kregel Publications. We tell our story. We also deal with biblical matters and mental illness and some technical points. You can get it on Kindle and other digital formats. If you would like to see what some are saying about it. Please go to http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Minds-Healing-Youre-Losing/dp/0825421187



 

'



 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 








 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.