Monday, October 2, 2017

How to fight mental illness in yourselves and others.


 1. Don't be ignorant! Be in the know about what mental illness is. Please stop with phrases like: "loon," "nut-house," "crazies," "fruits-cakes", "nut-case", etc. Realize that the rank and file of the media  (I am not talking about good documentaries) but those who often use these phrases in their movies, and TV shows hardly ever get it right. It is easy to pick on the mentally ill because of their troubles with mind and mood. This brokenness makes it hard 
for the mentally ill "people group" to defend themselves.           


 2. Start a CAMI mental illness support group.  We have written the material with all the information and help to start one and have a format for each lesson. We have groups in Byron Center, MI at Rush Creek Bible Church and at Boca Glades Baptist Church, Boca Raton, FL and one in a private home 
in Lake Worth. If you go to our contact us page and leave your name and number or your email, I would be glad to speak with you about having your own group. We will train you as we have others and we will support you if you have any questions or snags in your meeting that may be difficult for you to handle.We also offer online support groups using Skype or other VOIP.



          http://heartfeltmin.org/resources.html


3. Read our book, Broken Minds, Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It. We will give you a signed copy for a donation of $10.00 or more, our shipping costs are  $3.00. For Kindle books please see: https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Minds-Healing-Youre-Losing/dp/0825421187/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=




4Pray for the mentally ill and their caregivers. Pray that there would be medical discoveries which will help better treat these horrendous diseases.  If you have  a mental illness, keep praying. You may not feel like it and you may feel guilty and negative but if you know Christ, you can go through Him to the Father with boldness and confidence.      

I remember being so depressed with my concentration GONE, my hope almost lost and I was able only to pray from a prayer list. I kept the same prayer list and prayed through it every day. I could get some comfort from Scripture, but the Bible which I devoured daily up to that point was too difficult to read. So, I would write verses on a 3 X 5 card and try to meditate on one or two verses each day. God was with me, but I couldn't feel Him. Never doubt in the dark what you know to be true in the light.

Just take it one day at a time, or a moment at a time, depending on your level of depression. We must work together to dispel the confusion about diseases of the mind and mood. Robyn and I will speak to any group, any time, anywhere! If you want me to speak with your pastor, your family or your mentally ill loved one, I would be glad to do that. We are here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.