Friday, October 28, 2016

The story of one man's obedience to God, and the losing of his life for the kingdom of Christ.




Jim Elliot

Image result for image of the auca indian father

When I was in college,  I got a copy of a book by Elisabeth Elliot, Jim's Elliot's wife. The  name of the book is In the Shadow of the Almighty. Jim was heading for the Mission Field and He was educated at Wheaton, College.  He wrote the following which  is now in the above mentioned book.  Here is an excerpt:  

 "The night spread black and blossomed brilliantly with stars.  I walked out to the hill just now.  It is exalting, delicious to stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree with the wind tugging at your coattails and the heavens hailing your heart, to gaze and glory and to give oneself again to God.  What more could a man ask?

 Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth.  I care not if I ever raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him.  May hap in mercy He shall give me a host of children that I may lead through the vast star fields, to explore His delicacies, whose  finger-ends set them to burning.  But if not, if only I may see Him, touch His garments, and smile into my Lover's eyes--ah then, not stars, nor children shall matter-- only Himself."
Biography

Jim Elliot was killed shortly after landing with fellow missionaries in the territory of the Auca Indians.  He was speared by one of the Indians. The entire missionary party was killed. From the human standpoint, this was horrendously tragic and devastating. Only God knew what lay ahead. By His amazing grace and the faith of a dedicated woman of God, his wife, Elisabeth, went back into the hostile country and with some others she was the means of a great revival. She then wrote a book called, Through the Gates of Splendor.  Jim Elliot, Martyr to the Auca Indians. If you would like to read more about Jim, please go to this link:
 http://www.wheaton.edu/ISAE/Hall-of-Biography/Jim-Elliot
Image result for image of the auca indian father

The Voice of the Martyrs












 If you would like to read and pray for modern day Christians please go to this link:
http://www.prisoneralert.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.