Saturday, August 31, 2013

Study links schizophrenia symptoms to faulty 'switch' in brain

 
 


Schizophrenia is a horrible disease.  When I was first depressed a psychiatrist said to me, "You should consider yourself fortunate that you don't have schizophrenia."


 I had no idea what he was talking about.  And I felt he did not really understand the deep and pervasive pain of depression.
This was n 1985.  But since then I have worked in urban settings with many persons who had schizophrenia.  Most of them are not violent  and many of them are homeless and it is hard  to get them to treatment centers. One of the greatest mistakes we make as a society is to neglect them.  Many churches that are not in urban areas don't have a clue what schizoprhenia is and how to help those who have it.

Below is a link to an article which talks about  new research on the subject of Schizophrenia
Please pray with me that people in evangelical churches will reach out to to those who can do very little to "pay them back."

I believe Matthew 25 which will occur at the judgement of the Gentile nations has application to those who are suffering from mental illness. Most people who have Schizophrenia are dirt poor. As I said, they are in urban areas and get easily pushed around by those who want to get them out of their "turf."

"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat ; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink ; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'  "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?"  The King will answer and say to them, "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me," Matthew 25:25-40.
.
(Reuters) - The delusions and other psychotic symptoms experienced by people with schizophrenia may be caused by a faulty brain "switch" that blurs their ability to distinguish inner thoughts from objective reality, scientists said on Wednesday. For more please go to:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/21/us-schizophrenia-switch-idUKBRE97K0TO20130821

 
 
Please look at reviews for our book, Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You're Losing It.


 
 
 
 
CAMI (Christians Afflicted with Mental Illness) and CAMI Online are a division of Heartfelt Counseling Ministries. All rights reserved. 2013
CAMI which stands for, Christians Afflicted with Mental Illness involves talking to others via a lap top computer that has a camera and microphone. It is no different than any other CAMI group except you can do it while in your own home. We have five to six people who go on their computer on Thursday nights at 7:30 p.m.- 8:45 p.m. EST. . I am a member of this group. We use CAMI support group material that I have written. I can send you a copy of the material. It sells for six dollars. Please let me know if and when you want to start. The group is anywhere from an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half. I am refreshed by hearing from others in the group and by the biblical discussion. We also talk about mental health issues.
We are willing to open new groups if the group above is not suitable.
Time Zones can be a problem but not impossible. If you are interested,
you can respond to our blog or go to http://www.heartfeltmin.org/#!contact/cito
 
If you would like more information on how to start a ministry to those with schizophrenia,
Heartfelt can help.  Please go to our web site contact which is above.
Rev. Steve Bloem B.A. M.M.
Heartfelt (Counseling Ministries)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.