Monday, March 19, 2012

Are you a depressed child of God? In Jesus name press on.










If you have read my blog, you already know about my depression.  A full account of my depression and how my wife helped me can be found in our book Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It. It is published by Kregel Publications of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Many have read it and have come away encouraged. I will leave a link on the bottom of this blog if you wish to purchase it. I cannot remember if what I am about to say is in our book or not. It is taken from another book, Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles Cowman. 
A copy of the April 1 devotional was sent to me while I was undergoing a clinical depression.  My depression had gone from severe to moderate.  I was partially treated (this was 1985) with the drug, Norpramin. My believing psychiatrist told me that he did not think I really had a biological depression. My mind had a dark veil over it and I was prone to discouragement. Here is some of the devotional that made a strong impression and helped me in Jesus' Name to press on.
Here is the selection.
Though He slay; me, yet will I trust Him (Job 13:15). 
For I know whom I have believed (2 Timothy 1:12).
                  I
"I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails;
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
'I trust in Thee.'


"I will not doubt, though all my prayers return
Unanswered from the still, white realm above;
I will believe it is an all-wise love
Which has refused these things for which I yearn;
And though at times I cannot keep from grieving,
Yet the pure ardor of my fixed believing
Undimmed shall burn.


"I will not doubt, though sorrows fall like rain,
And troubles swarm like bees about a hive.
I will believe the heights for which I strive
are only reached by anguish and by pain;
And though I groan and writhe beneath my crosses.
I yet shall see through my severest losses the greater gain.



"I will not doubt. Well anchored is this faith,
Like some staunch ship, my soul braves every gale;
So strong its courage that it will not quail
To breast the mighty unknown sea of death.
Oh, may I cry, though body parts with spirit,
'I do not doubt,' so listening worlds may hear it,
With my last breath."

"In fierce storms," said an old seaman, "we must do one thing; there is only one way: we must put the ship in a certain position and keep her there."
This, Christian, is what you must do. Sometimes, like Paul, you can see neither sun nor stars, and no small tempest lies on you; and then you can do but one thing; there is only one way.
Reason cannot help you; past experiences give you no light. Even prayer fetches no consolation. Only a single course is left. You must put your soul in one position and keep it there.
You must stay upon the Lord; and come what may--winds, waves, cross-seas, thunder, lightning, frowning rocks, roaring breakers--no matter what, you must lash yourself to the helm, and hold fast your confidence in God's faithfulness, His covenant engagement, His everlasting love in Christ Jesus. --Richard Fuller

This poem based on Scripture about perseverance while in great trials, helped me to trust God while
I was in the dark. I fired my psychiatrist, got a new one and asked him to put me on Pamelor.
At first he hesitated and told me that I was under great stress but I remonstrated and he
prescribed me Pamelor which made me feel better in two weeks.
I thank this Father of Mercies, and God of all Comfort!!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.