Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mental Illness and the Health Wealth and Prosperity Gospel

Does God promise his children that they will never be sick of heart, depressed or weak of mind?
No, the present day, health, wealth and prosperity version of the gospel teaches this. But the Bible teaches otherwise; for instance, Job 9:27,28; “If I say,I will forget my complaint, I will put off my sad face and wear a smile. I am afraid of all my sufferings." Again the word of God in Job 6:1-4, states, “Then Job answered and said, “Oh, that my grief was fully weighed and my calamity lay with it in the balances! For then it would be heavier than the sand of the sea, therefore my words have been hasty. For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, my spirit drinks in their poison, the terrors of God are arrayed against me (NKJV).”
David states in Psalm 55:4-5,“My heart is severely pained within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fearfulness and trembling have come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me (NKJV).” Please also note Psalm 116:3, “the pangs of death encompassed me, and the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me. I found trouble and sorrow. Then I called upon the name of the Lord.”
How about you blogger? Do you have a prayer request or would you like to share how others have told you depression is a flaw, something to be confessed as sin before God?
Steve and Robyn Bloem
Please go to the following link that will provide you with key reviews of our book Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, Michigan---

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    I never told any Christians I suffered with depression. I didn't want to hear what they had to say. It would have made me feel worse. I was confused myself cuz I used to be one of those who thought people with depression just needed to suck it up and get over it. Now, I am sooooooo ashamed of being that person. I am thankful God has allowed me to suffer mental illness if for no other reason than to understand what mental illness truly is. I am patient with those who say the things I used to say. They just don't understand what mental illness is, but because they are being more educated today by books (yours), Dr's, Pastors etc, I see more compassion and understanding that I hadn't seen in the past. It's a good sign.
    I speak right up today and when I do, it's amazing how many others speak up and say, they too, suffer from depression or some other kind of mental illness.
    Keep up the good work Steve.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    The health, wealth and prosperity gospel has done much harm and confusion to many believers. It is good that you post about it and point us to the Scripture. We are living in a fallen world and so we do face all kinds of trials, sicknesses and difficulties just like everyone else. God does not promise a life free from trouble when we believe in Him but rather He promises that He is with us, will never leave us nor forsake us and His grace is sufficient for us no matter what we go through. This is our greatest comfort and hope as we sojourn in this pilgrim journey. And it is blessed hope that one day when we are with the Lord then we shall enjoy eternal rest in Him.

    Take care and hope you and Robyn have a blessed weekend!

    Warm regards in Christ,
    Nancie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura and Nancie,
    Thanks for you input on this subject. I appreciate having both of you contribute,
    knowing you both have a mental illness and know the Scriptures. "Weeping may endure for the night but joy comes in the morning." "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us."
    Your brother in Christ,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.