Friday, September 7, 2018

Dialetical Behavior Therapy, Anxiety/Panic Disorder, and the Chrisitian.





Stream





Four years ago
Hi Steve: I am a believer, or am I?? I I feel that those who are close to me and are also believers continue to tell me to "Give it to God, let it go, have Faith" that God will take this from you, this disorder is not of God, etc.
.......
. if my heart was completely with God, then why do I still suffer from the debilitating systoms of BPD, Anxiety/Panic Disorder? I have attended DBT classes for two years and although I have gotten understanding of my emotional dysregulation, which helps, I feel strongly that I haven't gotten nor understand the prolonged Exosure Therapy that might help to heal from the anxiety/panic that enprisons me today and has for the last 40 plus years. Please reply. Anonn.The aswer is below.


Steve Bloem

Today
Hello Anon, I am sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I have been praying for you..  First of all, you seem to be shaken regarding your assurance of salvation, because of other Christians, who are discouraging you.,and they are urging you to give over your disorder, to  "let go and let God."

There are times that a Christian does take this advice. The  Lord told ."Moses; "Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord.

"Scripture tells us in Ephesians 6;" Finally, be strong in the Lord  and strength of His mighty ." Apostle Paul, uses the imagery of the battle armor, and putting it on themselves. It reminds me when i was a chaplain at a Home for the veterans in Grand Rapids MI. I was there when the World War 2 veterans were at the age of passing away. I remember being in a unit, where a man was decked out in full Scottish costume. I knew that he was a marine, and.  and  asked  him, "Did you see action at Iwo Jima? He said, with a tip of his hat: " I  dld not see action, I took action".

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Paul and the armor of God


The apostle Paul says in Ephesians 6" put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places."

Each piece of the armor must be put on by us. Trusting in God does not magically take things away from us. DBT has its limitations.
Exposure Therapy does not always work..In fact  DBT Exposure Therapy should not be done until one year of skills training and individual counseling has been done.

 But I am wondering in regards to your anxiety and panic, are you on an antidepressant? Many times people with Borderline Personality Disorder have what we call a co-morbid disease, and the general treatment by psychiatrists for panic is to put you on an
SS RIS such as Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa. Thee also use other type of medicines.




Remember, I John 2 tells us; “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.”

Our aim not to sin but we also have a Savior, who pleads our case before the Father Here is a link to another one of my blogs. http://sbloemreflections.blogspot.com/2011/06/christ-our-advocate-intercessor-and.html 
Have you read our book, Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It? 

For the original copy of my first blog can be found, by clicking  on http://sbloemreflections.blogspot.com/2011/03/mtraining-with-marsha-linehan.html?showComment=1 99921135349#c8070355043501657357. 





Our new book isThe Pastoral HandbookMentalIllnesGuide for Training and Reference.
This book was not meant, only to be read by pastors. If you are a person, who is any kind of mental health professional you should get this book. 


Here is a blog about both of our books:. http://sbloemreflections.blogspot.com/2018/07/why-should-every-church-have-copy-of.html   
Steve is a Certified DBt therapy and was trained in Seattle Washington for a period of wo years. 
He also is an excellent counsleor and therapist when it comes to mental illness.  He and Robyn started a non-profit agency and the fees aredetermined by a sliding scale of your income.  
Rev. Steve Bloem, B.A. M.M., clinical emphasis, I ama certified DBT Therpist.

1 comment:

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.