Monday, May 19, 2014

Panic disorder, Part 2
















Treatments

Panic disorder is generally treated with psychotherapy, medication, or both.

Psychotherapy. A type of psychotherapy called cognitive behavior therapy is especially useful for treating panic disorder. It teaches a person different ways of thinking, behaving, and reacting to situations that help him or her feel less anxious and fearful.
Medicationn. Doctors also may prescribe medication to help treat panic disorder. The most commonly prescribed medications for panic disorder are anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants. Anti-anxiety medications are powerful and there are different types. Many types begin working right away, but they generally should not be taken for long periods.

Antidepressants are used to treat depression, but they also are helpful for panic disorder. They may take several weeks to start working. Some of these medications may cause side effects such as headache, nausea, or difficulty sleeping. These side effects are usually not a problem for most people, especially if the dose starts off low and is increased slowly over time. Talk to your doctor about any side effects you may have.

Another type of medication called beta-blockers can help control some of the physical symptoms of panic disorder such as excessive sweating, a pounding heart, or dizziness. Although beta blockers are not commonly prescribed, they may be helpful in certain situations that bring on a panic attack.

Some people do better with cognitive behavior therapy, while others do better with medication. Still others do best with a combination of the two. Talk with your doctor about the best treatment for you.

Living With

"One day, without any warning or reason, I felt terrified. I was so afraid, I thought I was going to die. My heart was pounding and my head was spinning. I would get these feelings every couple of weeks. I thought I was losing my mind." "The more attacks I had, the more afraid I got. I was always living in fear. I didn't know when I might have another attack. I became so afraid that I didn't want to leave my house."
"My friend saw how afraid I was and told me to call my doctor for help. My doctor told me I was physically healthy but that I have panic disorder. My doctor gave me medicine that helps me feel less afraid. I've also been working with a counselor learning ways to cope with my fear. I had to work hard, but after a few months of medicine and therapy, I'm starting to feel like myself again."

Clinical Trials
  • NIMH supports research studies on mental health and disorders. See also: A Participant's Guide to Mental Health Clinical Research.
  • Participate, refer a patient or learn about results of studies in ClinicalTrials.gov , the NIH/National Library of Medicine's registry of federally and privately funded clinical trials for all disease.
  • Find NIH-funded studies currently recruiting participants with panic disorder .
Steve Bloem was trained in behavior therapy at the University of Washington by Dr. Marsha Linehan.  He is a certified Dialectical Behavior Therapist.


If you would like to read about Steve and Robyn Bloem story of his depression, please go to the link http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Minds-Healing-Youre-Losing-ebook/dp/B004EPYNLE/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Is there a way to contact you privately? My wife suffers from depression. there are things I don't want to blurt out to the 'cyberverse.'

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Crushed. You can get a hold of me by going to our website and leaving your specific contact information there. It is totally confidential. Heartfelt Ministries phone number is 561-909-9109. I will be praying for your wife and for you. Our web site is http://www.heartfeltmin.org/#!contact/cito

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.