Friday, April 26, 2013

Suicide; Let's bring it out in the open!








This is a continuation of a series on suicide, especially in light of the recent death of Matthew Warren, son of Pastor Rick Warren.

Suicide. It had never before entered my mind. Suicide claimed weak people, surely far weaker than I.  People who came to their wits' end and gave in to a sudden, fatal, impulse. How could a Christian ever entertain the thought, let alone be seriously tempted?  Perhaps the temptation might over take someone in an impossible home situation or someone whose business had gone sour.  Maybe a weak Christian might do it to avoid going through divorce, terminal illness, poverty, or an intensely bitter disappointment. But Christians who had  thoughts of suicide were among the weak minded, and stunted spiritually.  Suddenly the temptation to end my life and its pain assaulted my theology---driven abhorrence against murder of a being created by God in His image.
We must not be ignorant of "ignorant of Satan's devices" (2 Corinthians 2:11, KJV). One of Satan most cunning whispers was the thoughts that all the pain could be put behind me in a moment.
 
I Can Fix This Now 
There was a fix for all that was broken. I could have it right now. It was rest from the unrelenting pain. It was immediate. It was permanent. No more torture.
Peace....

Suicide was a viable option to escape the horrible psychic pain. To live on indefinitely in this agony was the unbearable thought. Prayer did not seem to help. Christian counseling had done nothing. I had tried to "encourage myself in the Lord, my God, as David did when his army spoke of stoning him after all all their sons and daughter's and their wives were kidnapped.
My impregnable theology was bombarded by my own fears. I had no answers.  I could not be the leader I wanted to be. I was helpless. God seemed far from me. I was asked by a psychiatrist: Do you have a plan?  I thought, how could he know that I had a plan in place to kill myself? I promised him that I would call him if I were starting to act on my plan.


Are You at Risk for Suicide?
What about you who are reading this blog? Are you at risk for suicide?  If you are depressed, don't glibly dismiss the question or slide into the prevailing talking points that Christians are supposed to have on the subject. Your life and the well being of those close to you, whether you have family or not, depend on avoiding this allure of Satan.  Suicide sends a shock wave of damage much farther than you can imagine.
If you are having suicidal thoughts, and definitely if you have a plan of action, do not assume that you alone can beat this temptation. Yes, the Holy Spirit can give you  strength, but sometimes we speak of living in God's strength, when we we are relying in pride on our own. God has provided trust worthy counselors, pastors and health professionals in whom we confide.  This is not the time for how strong your faith is. You need help----- right away.
Bloem, Robyn and Steve. (2005). Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It  (Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, excerpts from chapter four).

If you are suicidal and need help, you can call me at 616-427. 0775. You can also email me at camimovement@yahoo.com  Because I am on medications that have sedative side effects, I cannot take after hours calls. But you can call a Christian Suicide Hot line--We Care About You! Call 888-667-5947 or email us-- contact@christiansuicideprevention.com





Heartfelt Counseling Ministries has started a CAMI (Christians Afflicted with Mental Illness) support group. We have written support group material for those who have mental illness; we also have groups in various churches and recently we have started an exciting online group. All you need is a lap-top computer, which has a camera  and you can attend a group online. . Our Rush Creek Bible Church On Line Support Group is full at this time. However, we are starting a new group and gathering information from those who want to attend. Information that is especially important is what times and days are best for you. We operate on Eastern Standard Time, United States. It may be tricky but we can possibly do groups internationally but it would take some thingking on how to do it during day and night time hours. You can call us at 616.427.0775 or you can email us at camimovement@yahoo.com  There is no charge for the groups but the material sells $ 6.00. A Leader Guide which has all the answers to the questions is $12.00.


The above material on suicide  is from the book Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It.  Robyn and I wrote this book and share our story of God's grace to us, because there is help, you are not alone. You can get it on Kindle, E-Book, the Nook and of course on paperback.  It is a story of God's grace and Kregel Publications has put it on academic status.
For a limited time, I will sell you this paperback book at cost  which is $7.00, plus shipping. The shipping in the U.S. is usually at book rate for about $2.50.

If you are from another country, I will attempt to calculate the cost for you.  If the shipping is too much I will refer you to another source of getting the book.
Thanks,
Rev. Steve Bloem
Director of Heartfelt (Counseling) Ministries
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida,
http://www.heartfeltmin.org
 


3 comments:

  1. I think your first paragraphs capture why suicide doesn't get more attention in the church; We think this isn't supposed to happen to Christians. When it does, we just don't know what to do with it.
    Keep on keepin' on, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil Thanks for your comments on this awful subject. Trying to prevent a suicide can be likened to attempting to put up a tent during a hurricane. The church of our Lord Jesus Christ must make provision ahead of time to help those who are suicidal. When we are trained, and the possibility of suicide presents our training will take over.
    I am appalled by how many churches are afraid to minister to the mentally ill because of legal issues. Many pastors are misinformed on the subject. Some are afraid of law suits or insurance problems, if they have a support group for mental illness on the church grounds. It has been said that when people are depressed and suicidal and try to get help; they either go to a pastor or a primary care physician. In our seminars we train clergy and others in the detection and prevention of suicide. A referral to a psychiatrist may be prudent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, I thought of something else after your reading your comment about treatment providers not telling parents and other key people about suicidal and homicidal plans. Most states have laws in place that confidentiality between doctor and client, or therapist and client is suspended when there is an imminent threat of suicide or homicide. When I was a case manger this was something which was true in the state of Michigan. As far as I know in every state, if a person is a danger to self, or others, then the person with direct knowledge of the threats or a plan to carry them out can petition the court for hospitalization. Often if clear homicidal threats are made about some one then the counselor or doctor must do a duty to warn with the possible victim.
    I am not giving legal advice on this blog but you can get information from your Community Mental Health Provider which is usually the county seat in your state about the subject.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.