Monday, February 14, 2011

A young man's letter to his parents about his depression

Dear Dad and Mom,

I decided to write you a letter to you know what is going on with me. For lack of a better term, I suppose it could be called an “emotional audit.” It is very difficult for me to express how I am feeling because everything I say sounds very cliche and melodramatic. At the risk of being melodramatic, however, I will describe exactly what has been going on with me in the hopes that something I say will trigger something within your brain to figure out the best course of action to take to help me.

I have felt very forlorn for a long time. Ever since I can remember I have had a sort of heaviness that has permeated my consciousness. The only way I discovered this was through conversations with numerous individuals who talked about themselves in such a way that I found very odd.

First, many friends have discussed an innate fear of death that I seem to lack. I do not find death glorious or romantic, but rather a well-needed and well-deserved rest from the suffering of this present world. To say that my quest for happiness (or wellness maybe) and my zeal for life is a battle is vastly understating the truth. Every day for at least the past 4 months (and on and off for many years), I have rolled out of bed and willed myself and prayed myself through the motions. I have always believed in Darwin’s model of only the strong surviving, which is surprising considering he had panic disorder (actually maybe he thought that because he survived panic attacks, he could conqueror anything.

Getting back on topic, death has always seemed so far away out of my grasp. Many times I have almost attempted to put myself into its way to be consumed by it, but I was never fortunate enough to die a martyr’s death. To me, being a martyr is not one who dies for what he believes in, but rather someone who continues to live despite life’s grisly grip on them. I feel as if I need a vacation from myself, much like a nap, but not. If it were possible to die for six months and then return, I believe I would like that very much.

The biggest obstacle I have found in my twenty-two years is the fact I have to be alone with my thoughts. Maybe I don’t want a vacation from life, but most certainly from the horrid thoughts that plague me so many times. If I stay busy enough, I can push the thoughts out of my head, and feebly attempt to ignore the sensation of gripping pain. I am afraid of virtually no one. The only thing I fear is alone time with me. Thinking has become such a painful process that I many times almost have a panic attack just thinking about when I will be alone next to face the truth-every day drags on and the only thought I have is that of my family and my Lord. I could not disgrace either of them with suicide, but OH how I long to be rid of this horrible “thing” that is weighing down on me.

 I feel relief primarily in two different ways. One way is when I am doing vigorous exercise (not right away, but after maybe 25 minutes of pushing hard). Another way is when I either intake a significant amount of caffeine or alcohol. Caffeine eventually makes me crash and I am more depressed after, and alcohol does the same, and also is a sin to consume to intoxication. I have not drunk recently, but it is always a temptation because it seems to help for a while. However, the next day I would not just have a “hangover,” but rather an intense, sharp pang of guilt coupled with an overwhelming sadness that could bring me to tears, or even worse-no tears.

I really think that crying would be quite a catharsis for me, but ever since I have been on Paxil;
I have not been able to cry (I have no idea if that’s connected to anything, but it is something I have indeed noticed).

I am not trying to be morbid or bring down your new years, but I figured I would at least mention some of these things to you. I really would like to have ECT if it were possible, but I understand that that is probably not an option for many reasons. Please pray for me so I can stay strong through this, and MOST of ALL, please do not treat me any different than you have. You have both been fine, but I do not need someone asking me every 3 minutes if I am depressed. The answer will unequivocally be YES.

Thank s for reading this, I appreciate it

Love you both, and talk to you soon.





If  you would like to take a look at one of our most exciting editions please go to the link below.  This Biblical-based support group material includes a Leader’s Guide and Student Guide/workbook. These guides will help create cohesion and mutual support among those who are born again and affected by these horrible diseases of body, mind and mood.  depression, bipolar, panic and obsessive compulsive disorders are some of the most painful of all disorders in this cursed world.  Many mentally ill Christians have experienced what we call “shaming” from their own brothers and sisters in Christ causing further and unnecessary suffering. The church of Jesus Christ not only misunderstands the mentally ill, she also provides no ministry for them. Steve Bloem, Co Founder of Heartfelt Counseling Ministries




http://sbloemreflections.blogspot.com/2015/10/what-is-cami-guide-and-why-should-you.html










12 comments:

  1. Painful to read. The inability not to escape your own horrible thoughts would be enough to take down the strongest person. I'm glad he reached out. That takes a strong person who trusts his parents. That says a lot for them, and for him. But it certainly is a cry not to be ignored. He seems to need some intense intervention. And knowing the negative effects of medications, especially in young adults, would make me question the Paxil. He talks about the last 4 months being worse. I wonder how long he has been on the Paxil. Perhaps a change might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for sharing this letter. Reading this letter reminds me of my own experiences. I can identify with this young man's painful experiences. I applaud this young man's courage to share so openly. It takes a lot of courage to talk about depression. I pray that he finds the much needed medical help and also will receive the understanding and support of his parents, family and loved ones. In my own experience, besides medical help and trusting in God, having the support and prayers of understanding family members and church friends is very crucial. I am thankful to God for providing family, brethren and friends who understand and accept me. And thank God that He is with us always!

    Take care and hope you have a blessed week!

    In Christ,
    Nancie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie,
    Thank you for your response. I should have mentioned this letter is about 3 1/2 years old.
    His 'regular' doctor put him on Paxil and it took care of his severe panic attacks but a psychiatrist raised his Paxil's dosage and when it did not do much for his depression, he raised it again (other psychiatrists said that the psychiatrist should not have done that). It triggered a manic response.
    His Paxil was lowered and he was put on an atypical antipsychotic for bipolar and he had an allergic response. He was put on Serquel which worked somewhat for him but left his still depressed.
    Since then he has been put on numerous antidepressants and anti manic drugs. He has had some very good psychiatrists and his depression is resistant to treatment.
    Some have surmised that the residual symptoms are
    Non-biological but the experts think not.
    He is a wonderful young man who loves the Lord but
    his depression has left him demoralized.
    He needs a lot of prayer and support.
    Thanks again,
    Steve Bloem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancie,
    Thanks for commenting.

    After reading your story, I can see how this situation would remind you of your own.
    He is having some trouble getting support from his local church.
    We have found this to be a real problem in the churches of the United States.
    We are combating stigma by seminars and by self disclosure about our own mental illnesses.
    We have founded a movement called CAMI but we are running into some financial difficulties in printing out certificate of membership’s posters of our logo and other things. We appreciate the prayers of God's people to help us launch CAMI, "Christians Afflicted with Mental Illness," copyright 2010. Here is a link for more information regarding this ministry. http://heartfeltcounselingministries.com/camimembership.aspx. You may have to cut and paste this link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve,
    My heart is so heavy reading this letter. When you experience these things together, you can't help but just be so burdened for each other.

    I know it's wonderful to have friends and family but it's a dark road that only we can travel and that's where we can loose it sometimes.

    I'm glad he has some good Dr's who care about him.

    The main thing that I rejoice in is his trust in the Lord. God will keep him no matter what. We can't keep ourselves. He saved us and He will keep us. Sometimes the only prayer we can muster up is, Father, help me, I'm scared. He has never resisted such a prayer from His children. He will never leave us nor forsake us. Glory to His name.
    I will be praying for this young man with great fervency. Please keep us posted on him Steve.
    Thanks
    Blessings
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    Thank you for your comments. Trusting in the Lord in the dark is as you know very difficult,
    but very necessary. In the back of our book,
    Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You’re Losing It there is an appendice that talks about "The Child of Light Walking In Darkness. It is by Thomas Goodwin. It is one of the greatest treatments of the subject by anyone.
    You may have read it in Broken Minds perhaps others who read this have not. Here is a link to Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/searchindex=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0825421187.

    You may have to cut and paste
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. This young man could be describing my life at the minute. I can relate to so much of what he says.I wish I could put words to what I am feeling and going through as eloquently as he can, people don't understand and I can't explain and I feel I am becoming more and more isolated, except for a faithful pastor and his wife. I pray that he is receiving the love and support he needs from his family and the right medical care, and that he, I and many others will not fall to the temptation of suicide but that we WILL find God's grace enabling us to not bring dishonour to His name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,
    Thanks for your comment, it is very much appreciated! One of the reason I put this post on my blog is because I knew that it would speak for those who have trouble articulating how they feel when they are depressed, manic, hearing voices, etc. I know how you feel because I have felt the same way, many times during many episodes of depression. My wife Robyn and I have started a movement called CAMI, Christians Afflicted with Mental Illness. It exists for creating a Christian community that cares about the awful suffering of those who have a mental illness as well as their loved ones. Please take a look at our CAMI website. When we get the needed funds we will get bracelets and other items which will promote this community. This blog is meant to foster the sharing of each other and praying for each other. Please pray for Robyn and me as we face obstacles to the ministry we are experiencing. Please pray also that we would have a number of our books published.This young man who is featured in this blog is still depressed three years later. He continues to persevere in tribulation and is seeking skilled psychiatric, medical help. In a couple of days I will be putting something about suicide on the blog. In our book Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You're Losing It; I give many reasons why a mentally ill person should not commit suicide and why I did not do so. Please check out our CAMI movement link.
    http://heartfeltcounselingministries.com/camimembership.aspx .
    Note to all readers. This CAMI idea and movement have been copyrighted 2010.
    Thank you Steve Bloem

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Steve this young man has captured it in a nutshell. I have felt everything he feels. Fortunately for me I am not resistant to meds and have a great psychiatrist who has balanced my medication and always reviewing it. Even so the black dog still has sneak attacks. i am going to send a copy of this to my Pastor. I encounter Christians on an all to regular basis making judgment of depression. We need to shake up the church on this. It can cause me to be somewhat withdrawn with such folks.

    Keep up the great work Steve and Robyn

    Blessing Vicki Pedler

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Vicki,
    We rejoice with you in the Lord using your physician's skill to sucessfully treat your
    depression. Thanks for joining CAMI, I will soon send an outline that talks more about this.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to a lot that he wrote, it's a very hard road to travel and can feel very lonely. I want to thank you for your efforts to raise awareness about mental illness in churches. I can assure you it isn't just the USA, I'm finding it tough to find understanding Christians in the UK. I am tired of feeling like an inferior Christian because I have depression. It seems ironic that the people I struggle to be around most when I'm depressed are Christians. Something's gone wrong somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah,
    Loneliness is hard enough but when it is compounded by the people of God who are suppose to, "weep with those who weep," it is demoralizing. When I was first saved at age 16, and went back to school for my senior year, I thought there were no Christians at my school.
    I was incredibly lonely!
    I wrote to my older brother and he assured me that they were there somewhere. He then quoted, Romans 11:2-4. “God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? "Lord, THEY HAVE KILLED YOUR PROPHETS, THEY HAVE TORN DOWN YOUR ALTARS, AND I ALONE AM LEFT, AND THEY ARE SEEKING MY LIFE." But what is the Divine response to him? "I HAVE KEPT for Myself SEVEN THOUSAND MEN WHO HAVE NOT BOWED THE KNEE TO BAAL."
    God knows all those in the U.K. and elsewhere who suffer from mental illness. We have some good contacts in Great Britain. We hope to band together with them and many others in Singapore, Australia, India, England, Scotland, Wales, Russia and many more. Please keep visiting our web site. We are praying for you. As I write this I am sending in a proposal to a number of Christian literary agents about publishing support group material for those who are Christians and have mental illness. Robyn and I have written these guides. They are called CAMI Leader and Student Guide. It will make material available world wide.Please pray we can get it published. We will keep you posted on what is happening in our U.K. outreach. How about anyone else who reads this blog in the U.K.? Are you finding others understanding of your mental illness? Please make a comment. http://www.heartfeltcounselingministries.com.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.