Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nervous Breakdown

Nervous Breakdown - It was also called "nervous prostration" a condition of irritable weakness. Today people who have anxiety disorders, depression, and/or bipolar disorder would all fall under the rubric of "nervous breakdown."
In the USA, from about the early 1900's until about the early 1970's, the term 'nervous breakdown' was very uncomplimentary in its use. Similarly, terms were used for the person such as, 'freaked out' or became a "wacko" or "nuts."
We know in mental illnesses, neurotransmitters and other aspects of the central nervous system are out of sync and result in all kinds of mental and bodily symptoms. The term continues to persist and in my opinion should be taken out of the English language.{Please see Broken Minds Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You’re Losing It by Steve and Robyn Bloem, (c 2005) Grand Rapids, Kregel chapter 2 "Stress and the Gathering Storm, pp. 27-35.

4 comments:

  1. Please read my latest blogs. I sent you an invite on your yahoo email so that you can view my blog. I'd write you an email but it would be so much easier if you just read my blogs. lol How are ya btw????? Seems like forever since I emailed ya or heard from ya. Oh I spent 4 days in inpatient. Um... just read my blogs. lol Hope ya'll are doin well!

    I hope ya'll know what a tremendous help you have been to me over the past 3 years. You guys are awesome! And keep doing what your doing! You're helping SOOO many people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear S.
    Thanks for writing. I checked out your blog and was so happy to see that you are pursuing godly goals in your life. I still am not familiar with blog communication. I get confused whether it is you talking or someone else.
    I started a blog but I don't really know how to get followers. Perhaps you could help me by explaining blog protocol etc.
    Thanks for reading my blog and being a follower.
    I pray for you often and always wonder how you are doing.
    Steve Bloem

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes you have to use a site like thing to advertise your blog. and you can search for blogs on www.blogs.google.com I think that's the site. If not I'll find out what it is and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the site is www.blogsearch.google.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.