Monday, July 9, 2018

Why did I write, The Pastoral Handbook of Mental Illness?







This book was written so that pastors, deacons, and other Christian workers might know how to help people who have mental illness. It is meant to be used in all cultures, since mental illness knows no boundaries.  I believe that a correct biblical theology includes validating mental illness as a true disease entity as well as securing the appropriate help for those who are suffering from it. 











Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a medical doctor and a very effective pastor/teacher. He knew the importance of having a book in print that would aid pastors to clearly differentiate between spiritual and medical issues. He avoided the one-size-fits-all mentality. I submit a paragraph from his writing where he explains: 

“Having insured that the approach has been right, we come to the actual diagnosis. If   you cannot make a diagnosis you cannot help your patient. Here again lies the importance of an accurate knowledge of the facts, the facts of life and the spiritual facts.   They all come together here. To me the thing that is needed above everything else at the   present time is an accurate textbook which deals with the borderland where the spiritual, the psychological, and the psychiatric meet. This is the most difficult sphere of all in the practice of medicine, and in Christian pastoral work. I have thought about it for some forty-five years, for ministers have been in the habit of sending people to me and  explaining, “I don’t know what to think of this case, is it a spiritual physical or a psychological   one?” There is really no adequate textbook on this problem, and it is very important from every standpoint. Much time will be lost if you cannot differentiate. You will be unhelpful to the person who is confronting you and perhaps even harmful.  D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Healing and the Scriptures, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1982)  p.77
Our website is getting some important work that needs to be done. If you would like to more about this book, please email me at pathema@msn.com or text me at 561.909.9109. and I will get back to you.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to respond to my blog. I value your opinion.